The team at Building Guide have collated a list of handy tips to guide you through the initial stages of your home build journey.
Handy tips for your home
- Outdoor/indoor flow is vital for modern living, but make sure your doorways have shelter from the rain with eaves and porticos.
- Outdoor living in New Zealand can be done for much of the year in Northern climes, less so down south, but shade must be provided. Consider waterproof shade either through shade clothes that are waterproof or solid roof materials.
- Think about sun-lines. Shade at midday may be inadequate in the early evening and the sun can still be brutal at that hour.
- Go with a Smart Home installation. It will soon become essential for any home so get it in now.
- If you can’t afford to install outdoor heating, make provision for it by running gas pipes or electrical wiring during your build.
- Look at running your music outdoors with outdoor speakers. It’s actually more considerate of the neighbours as you don’t need volumes up as loud to be able to hear.
- Sightlines for children’s play areas can be incorporated into your design early in the process. Separate spaces for children (no matter how old) can be an invaluable asset to living.
- Lighting is vital to enhancing a home’s natural features and ambience. Don’t forget to install outdoor lighting or cable it up even if you can’t afford the lights yet.
- Run speaker cable and computer cable throughout your house, even if you cannot afford to install computers and speakers – add them later!
- Ensure the materials you build your home from are of good quality from reputable suppliers – from the framing you choose to the cladding, electrical cabling and plumbing to glass, roofing and interior linings. Fittings can be changed out – you cannot change your framing.
- Spend money on quality fittings wherever you can.
- If you’re building, site levelling beforehand can be an excellent way of making full use of your property – making space for entertaining areas, kid’s play areas or parking. Don’t be scared to move dirt around – it’s never cheaper than before things are built.
- Above all else, think about how you want to live in your new home! Build it around your requirements, needs and desires. This is the ultimate benefit of building your own bespoke dream home.
Visit www.buildingguide.co.nz for more useful information.
New Home Sales Consultant